We celebrated the golden anniversary of the official opening of the course. The Governor of South Australia, His Excellency Rear Admiral Kevin Scarce, attended to re-enact the hitting of the first ball.April 9, 2010
The government of the day having decreed that the land was an essential requirement to the future housing needs of South Australia. Alternative land was offered further to the north, but the plan fell through because of the global financial crisis.2006
A fairway and greens planting programme was commenced, transforming the course into an oasis of green that we find today. Transforming a flat, featureless, treeless, parched, sun-baked clay gibber plains was achieved by an army of volunteers and donated materials. A spirit that lives on today as many people continue to invest their time, skills and hard work to keep the golf course in excellent condition for all golfers who come to play.Spring of 1960 into the summer of 61
Having affiliated with the SAGA, membership numbered 115, 95 males, 13 ladies and 7 juniors. 33 players teed up on opening day. Mrs R. Boswell, wife of the Director of the WRE, hit the first ball to open the Club.April 9, 1960
The birth of the club is strongly linked to the construction of the Penfield Ammunition Factory to aid the war effort during World War II.
Initial course conditions were rudimentary at best with fairways defined by a single furrow plough mark and greens leveled with a few tons of sand and gallons of sump oil mixed in. The fairways were “mown” by the introduction of sheep during the week so golfers could play on the weekend.
The current clubhouse (Building 51) was a derelict, single men’s quarters, with the building divided up into cabin-type rooms.September 1959